Symptoms Of Alcohol PoisoningRehabilitation News
Across the United States, thousands of high school and college students, as well as grown adults, suffer from alcohol poisoning. Alcohol poisoning is a very serious condition that can have a very serious impact on a person’s life. When alcohol poisoning occurs, a person may vomit, be incoherent, hypothermic, or they may have seizures. Binge drinking and alcohol abuse are leading causes of alcohol poisoning. At the Crosby Clinic, we help individuals with alcohol abuse disorder get alcohol treatment so they can live happier and healthier lives.
What Is Alcohol Poisoning?
Acute alcohol intoxication is a condition commonly referred to as alcohol poisoning. This loosely describes an alcohol overdose and the symptoms that accompany it. When a person decides to sleep off a hard drunk, they can suffer alcohol poisoning. This condition is caused by drinking excessive amounts of alcohol too quickly. Alcohol poisoning can end fatally, which is why it is crucial for individuals suffering from this condition to get immediate medical assistance.
Signs And Symptoms Of Alcohol Poisoning
When a person experiences alcohol poisoning, symptoms are not always noticeable. Quite often, a person begins feeling a slight buzz that turns into rowdy behavior. If they continue to drink alcohol, they may black out.
Once alcohol poisoning sets in, individuals experience severe mental confusion, stupor, or have an inability to wake up. They may vomit, have slowed or irregular breathing, experience seizures, or fall into a coma.
Individuals with alcohol poisoning may appear hypothermic with bluish skin and lips or extreme paleness.
What To Do When You Or A Friend Has Alcohol Poisoning
If someone may be too drunk, it is crucial to keep an eye on them. A lot of people unknowingly go to sleep with alcohol poisoning and die. If your friend is unresponsive after drinking, call 911 and turn them on to their side. If they are still awake, keep them sitting upward and convince them to drink water.
Never wait for a person to exert every symptom of alcohol poisoning before calling for help. A person who has passed out from alcohol may die and needs to be attended to immediately by a medical professional.
If alcohol poisoning goes untreated, a person risks choking on their own vomit. They can experience slowed, irregular, or stopped breathing and they may have an irregular heartbeat or a heartbeat that stops altogether. Hypothermia and hypoglycemia can set in and lead to seizures. A person that suffers severe dehydration in combination with alcohol poisoning is at an increased risk of seizures, permanent brain damage, or even death.
Over 2,200 individuals die each year from alcohol poisoning in the United States. You do not need to be one of them.
Get Substance Abuse Help Now
If you have an alcohol abuse disorder, it is imperative for you to get substance abuse help as soon as possible. The Crosby Clinic has intake specialists available 24-hours a day at (760) 751-1234. If left untreated, alcohol use disorder can result in serious health complications or death. It is important for you to get help as soon as possible to save your life.